To apply for the MLWS program, you’ll need the following:
- Meet the admissions requirements of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
- Should have a science-based bachelor’s degree preferably in one of the following disciplines: soil science, agricultural sciences, environmental science, geology, geography, ecology, forestry, or civil engineering.
A background in introductory (first-year university equivalence) economics, geology, physical geography and soil science is beneficial but not required for admission into the program.
Application for admission must include a letter outlining the applicant’s intent for pursuing the MLWS degree and how it will enhance their career goals and previous experience. Applicants may be interviewed by an advisor from the MLWS degree program to determine their candidacy and suggest ways to address any academic deficiencies.
Interested applicants who do not meet the MLWS pre-requisites should contact the Academic Coordinator for consultation. Admission may be contingent on concurrent completion of first-year introductory courses in the deficient area(s) at UBC or a recognized post-secondary institution to meet the admission requirements of the program.
The following is a summary of the materials required for a complete application:
- Apply for the Master in Land and Water Systems program by filling out the Online Application Form through the UBC Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
- Statement of Intent. Provide a letter that outlines your intent for pursuing the MLWS degree and how it will enhance your academic and professional expertise. Describe your career objectives upon completion of your degree. Maximum 500 words.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV). Provide an up-to-date CV that summarizes your education (degrees, diplomas, continuing education); work experience; professional certifications; academic and professional awards; achievements, honours or other distinctions you have received; and volunteer experience.
- Reference Letters. You will need to include a total of three (3) letters of reference in your application. At least one reference must be academic, and at least one reference must be related to professional or work experience in an appropriate field.
- English language proficiency test results (if relevant).
For more information about application requirements, please contact the Graduate Programs Office:
Lia Maria Dragan Graduate Admission and Administrative Coordinator Faculty of Land and Food Systems Tel: 604.822.4593 Email: email@example.com
Application Deadline: The application period for 2023-2024 will open in September 2022. The application deadline is December 31, 2022.
MLWS will consider late applications from qualified candidates, given the applicant is able to provide a strong rationale to the Program Director. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in applying.
Tuition fees for full duration of the program for 2022-23 are as followed:
|UBC Credentials||Master of Land and Water Systems, MLWS|
|Program Length||12 Months, Full-time|
|Application Fees||$110.00 for domestic students (permanent residents and Canadian citizens) and
$168.25 for international students.
|Tuition||$21,364.59 plus student fees for domestic students (permanent residents and Canadian citizens) and
$40,015.38 plus student fees for international students.
|Tuition Structure||The tuition fees above are divided into 3 installments due in September, January and May.
$7,121.53 per installment for domestic students (permanent residents and Canadian citizens) and
$13,338.46 per installment plus student fees for international students.
|Other Student Fees||$1,057 (approx.) Read more >|
|Scholarships, Funding & Awards||Read more >|
The proposed tuition levels for the degree are stated in CAD and consistent with what UBC and other universities are charging for professional programs in related areas. Please check the Tuition Fees for Professional Master’s Degree Programs section in the UBC Academic Calendar for more details.
The tuition levels for the MLWS degree apply to the 12-month period (from the beginning of September to the end of August) required to complete the degree. During this period, it is expected that students will complete the 33 credits of required course work. Tuition levels do not vary with the number of credits taken.
Continuing Tuition (after the first 12 months):
Although the MLWS program has been designed to be completed in one 12-month period, there may be cases where students need to take courses in a subsequent Academic Year in order to complete the requirements for the degree. These students will continue to pay regular tuition installments as outlined above due in September, January and May.
- Date TBA - MLWS Program Orientation
- Date TBA - UBC Graduate Student Orientation Day
- Sept. 5, 2022 - University closed for Labour Day.
- Sept. 6, 2022 - Start of Winter Session Term 1 for most faculties: classes in most programs cancelled for Imagine UBC.
- Sept. 7, 2022 - First installment of tuition fees are due. (See UBC Fees)
- Sept. 10, 2022 - Deadline to apply for November graduation (for graduating class of 2022)
- Sept. 15, 2022 - UBC Bursary program application deadline
- Sept. 19, 2022 - Last day to drop Term 1 courses without a W standing. Last day to elect Credit/D/Fail. Last day to change the auditing status for Term 1 courses.
- Date TBA - LFS Graduate Student Orientation
- Oct. 10, 2022 - University closed for Thanksgiving.
- Oct. 28, 2022 - Last day to drop Term 1 courses with a W standing.
- Nov. 9-11, 2022 - Midterm Break for most faculties:
- Nov. 11, 2022 - University closed for Remembrance Day.
- Nov. 23-25, 2022 - November graduation period for the Class of 2022.
- Nov. 25, 2022 - Last day to withdraw from full-year courses with a W standing.
- Dec. 7, 2022 - Last day of WTerm 1 classes.
- Dec. 11-22, 2022 - Term 1 final exam period for most faculties
- Dec. 23, 2022 - Last day of Winter Session Term 1 contract for student housing
- Dec. 26, 2022 - University closed for Boxing Day.
- Dec. 27, 2022 - University closed for a holiday in lieu of Christmas Day
- Dec. 28, 2021 - Jan. 4, 2023 - Reduced services in most departments over the winter break.
- Jan. 1, 2022 - University closed for New Year's Day.
- Jan. 9, 2022 - Residences open for Term 2 at 12:00 pm (noon)
- Jan. 10, 2022 - Winter Session Term 2 begins for most faculties.
- Jan. 14, 2022 - Second installment of tuition fees is due.
- Jan. 21, 2022 - Last day to drop Term 2 courses without a W standing. Last day to elect Credit/D/Fail/Audit grading for eligible Term 2 courses.
- Feb. 21, 2022 - University closed for Family Day.
- Feb. 21-25, 2022 (inclusive) - Reading Break for most faculties.
- Mar. 4, 2022- Last day to drop Term 2 courses with a W standing.
- Mar. 31, 2022 - Recommended deadline for students applying for a Summer Bursary to apply for student loans
- Apr. 8, 2022 - Last day of classes for most faculties.
- Apr. 12-27, 2022 - Final Exam period for most faculties
- Apr. 15, 2022 - University closed for Good Friday.
- Apr. 18, 2022 - University closed for Easter Monday.
- Apr. 28, 2022 - Winter Session residences close.
- May 11, 2022 - Third installment of tuition fees is due.
- Aug. 26, 2022 - Last day to submit program completion form to Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
Use Our Online Application Portal
Apply online through the UBC Graduate Studies Online Application portal.