Frequently Asked Questions

The Master of Land and Water Systems is a professional program, meaning it is course-based and a thesis is not required. From the program start to finish, this graduate degree takes one year (three terms), whereas research-based graduate programs can take 2-5 years.

The professional Master’s program is ideal for students who plan to work as practitioners, managers, planners and policymakers in the natural resources field.

The MLWS program does not in itself provide recognized professional certification, but completing the program can help to meet the requirements (e.g., Articling, Internship, Professional Development Activities, etc.) of a professional certification program (e.g. BCIA, ABCFP, APEGBC, etc.).

Although the MLWS program has been designed to be completed in one 12-month period, there may be cases where students need to take courses in a subsequent Academic Year in order to complete the requirements for the degree.

These students will continue to pay regular installments (as indicated on the Tuition page) due in September, January and May. Tuition levels do not vary with the number of credits taken.

For students who become ill and request a leave or are required to leave for a term (or two), the regular domestic and international graduate student On-leave fee will apply.

Through the Western Deans' Agreement (WDA), MLWS students are eligible to take courses at the following universities without charge:

  • University of Alberta
  • Athabasca University
  • Brandon University
  • British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
  • University of Calgary
  • University of Lethbridge
  • University of Manitoba
  • University of Northern British Columbia
  • University of Regina
  • University of Saskatchewan
  • Simon Fraser University
  • University of Victoria

At this time, only elective courses may be taken at one of the above universities (300-level and up) and must have prior approval from the MLWS Academic Coordinator and your (co) Supervisor.

If you have already completed a course at an eligible university (within the last 5 years) and the MLWS program approves it, you must fill out the WDA form (see link below) to have the credit transferred to the MLWS program at UBC.

See the Faculty of Graduate Studies website for more information on the Western Deans' Agreement.

There are a number of resources that provide information about scholarships. Several examples are listed below:

In case of any conflict, the MLWS Program Director will attempt to resolve the concern. If this is not successful, the Director will appoint a committee of three with a representative from The Faculty of Land and Food Systems, a Chair (UBC), and the co-supervisor to meet with the student.

The result will be transmitted in writing to the Director with a copy to all members and the Dean of the Faculty of Land and Food Systems.